Thursday, September 8, 2011

Detail of the Moment - French Tufted Mattress

Here is a detail I've been obsessing over as of late.  
See the cushions on those sofas?!  Divine.

Works in traditional and modern spaces.  This image as well as the one above are from the talented Steven Gambrel and his design team.  I think it's a bit of a signature item for them. 

Also love it for a window seat.

This is from interior designer, Sherry Hart, who recently snapped this photograph at market.  Love the traditional ticking fabric.

The more the merrier. Aren't they stunning stacked like this? 
This clever idea is from another amazing designer, Lauren Liess.

Here's a close up.

This custom look can get expensive, but not so with simple floor cushions.  This adds just a touch of the look to your space.

I also ran across this affordable version at Pottery Barn (of all places) at $229.00.  Not bad.

That's it for today!  I'm off and running.  Have a wonderful day. M.

12 comments:

  1. I love a good tuft! Love the living room in the first photo... what gorgeous woodwork.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That first photo is SOOOOO beautiful! LOVED this post :)
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mandi- I have to do a mattress for the windowseat I'm building for my house, and really love this look.

    I wonder if I could make a slipcover that could imitate it? With three kids I'm anticipating stains...

    Loretta

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Stacy - that first room is FAB. I love Steven Gambrel already but that room was new to me so thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loretta,
    What an interesting thought! I would love to see what you come up with. Just thinking about it . . . my guess would be that you would basically have to "quilt" the cover with thin batting, etc and then it would fit over the base cushion? But I have never tried such a thing. If you do it, please send pictures. I would love to see the results. M.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a great look. Love how she stacked 3 mattresses on top of each other.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mandi! Just proves that it's all about the details!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think with a cushion, especially a solid one it just looks so bland when there is no detail. Love the tufting for added interest. Great examples :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wonder how easy of DIY this cushion would be to sew. I'm making my own settee and this would be great in my gaming room/den.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bri - I have never seen a DIY for these, but if anyone can pull it off it's you! M.

    ReplyDelete
  11. what an inspiring page : especially as i was looking for tufted mattress for a caravan make over.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Has anyone out there seen a good web tutorial on how to sew/make these french cushions? I've got skills, but I can't figure out how these are made. Any guidance would be so appreciated!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for thoughts on my post! M.