Hold the Top Sheet, Please!

Recently, I had a conversation with a well traveled client on not using a top sheet with your duvet coverlet for bed linens.  To be clear, you would use a fitted bottom sheet on the mattress, but no top sheet between the duvet cover and the fitted bottom sheet. 

 This has been the norm in France and other countries for years, but it has not really caught on here in the states.  

I'm sure there are lots of reasons people do this, but my client wants to simplify her morning routine and did not want to sacrifice the look of the bed by eliminating all the accent pillows.  So, with this arrangement, she does not have to bother with adjusting and re-tucking the top sheet each morning.

 For this particular client, we are going to buy two duvet coverlets (just as I would recommend for bed linens, slipcovers, etc).  So the bed can be changed immediately without having to wait on the laundry!

Well, needless to say, I am intrigued with the idea.  On the one hand, it would save a ton of time and would be particularly good for new moms who barely have time to bath (at least that's how I felt during that phase of life) and for children who are just learning to make their own bed.  Talk about easy!  

But, a few tiny negatives keep creeping into my thoughts.  If you slept with someone who takes more than their fair share of the covers (I'm not naming names), you may literally end up in the cold.  Also, I LOVE a layered look on the bed.  It adds depth and color and gives you lots of temperature options in the middle of the night.  You also have to consider that the coverlet needs to be super soft since it's not buffered by a top sheet.

But, I'm still pondering the whole the idea.  Where are you on the "top sheet vs. duvet coverlet sans top sheet" debate?  Would love your thoughts.

If you would like to read more about this trend in Europe, Apartment Therapy has some interesting points.  Happy Monday! M.

15 comments:

  1. How interesting! Because we have a top sheet with our duvet...but I just like to sleep under the duvet cover...but my husband likes to sleep under the duvet and top sheet! I know...to much info...but never thought of this! Take care, Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I am old school. I actually put my coverlet over the duvet. The reason is: I take my coverlet off at night and just sleep with the duvet. I have 2 inexpensive white ones that I do rotate because my dog sleeps on the bed [I know....]. This way my coverlet stays nice. I have a blanket that I fold at the foot for added layering!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had both since they do it this way in Germany, too...it is lower maintenance but the coziness factor is less when you crawl in since you don't get the cocoon feeling...and as you say, the bed hog usually wins! They often will have individual ones here but I don't like that at all...snuggling is not possible so that was out for us. Again, TMI...but for what it's worth. :) Great idea on buying two sets!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, now this is food for thought. Ultimately I'm going to stick with the top sheet. Usually my hubs gets hot during the night so he just uses the top sheet and I end up with the whole duvet. Works for us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We never have used a top sheet, because every time I try, my husband rolls and pulls and it ends up on the floor! I will say that the downside of using no top sheet is that you have to clean the duvet cover or comforter or blanket a lot more often, and it is harder to wash those than it is to wash sheets. One trick though - we sleep in a king, and I turn the duvet itself (not the cover) 90 degrees so it is wider than it is long. that way, neither one of us pulls it off the other at night.
    PS-- these images are beautiful and I pinned them all!!
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting thought! I must say we have always used a top sheet, and can't imagine not using one (at least for now) but its always good to know what the trends are. I love the examples you showed above...all so beautiful, makes me want to crawl back into bed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have done this since we were married -- the hubs insists on it. He grew up in a house that didn't use top sheets and he thinks they are "weird." I've come around to it -- it's definitely easier to make the bed with just the duvet. You do want to make sure your duvet cover is made out of a "sheet-like" fabric that feels smooth and launders easily.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We lived in Norway for three years and you couldn't even find a top sheet to buy. I never could get used to it. Love my top sheet, but my kids could care less! They spent the top sheet formative years in Norway I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really never thought about it. We have always used top sheets, but my children hate them. They like just the top cover, comforter or duvet. I love the look though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My husband is English as are lots of my relatives, and they all do without the top sheet and just have the duvet. They have been doing it that way in Europe for decades. I can't bear it! I have to have a top sheet, not only because I like the look, but also the feel. It seems half made without the top sheet. It's more cosy, it envelopes you and keeps your feet covered, it separates you from the duvet, if it gets hot you can kick off the duvet and just have a sheet, it saves having to wash and iron a duvet cover, which is a lot more hassle to put on and off than a simple sheet. But when in England I had trouble finding a top sheet, whereas here in Australia they all come in sets. If the duvet falls off or someone hogs it, you have nothing. Nup, no way. I'm sticking to my sheet sets, top and bottom!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Woooow


    thats great.I like thos room.


    greatings Conny

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do not use top sheets on the kiddos beds. It makes it easier to make & less to clean. They all kick & sqirm in the night so why bother with 1 more thing for them to kick off.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So European, isn't it? While I love the idea of being able to easily make the bed each day, I don't like the idea of stuffing the darn duvet back into its cover after weekly laundering. So, I'll stick with the top sheet for now... Incidentally, when I live in Australia during college, there were no top sheets to be found anywhere either!
    Camille

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can't give up my top sheet. I know I know I know, but to me the bed is unfinished without it. I love luxe and this extra sheeting between me and the duvet is necessary. Also, I gave up using a duvet cover, I just put another top sheet over the comforter and voila, it's done. The top sheet can be removed and replaced easily enough. I'm a huge believer in luxury linens which I've collected from all corner of the world over decades, and I love all of them. Great post, btw. xx's

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous images! We didn't use our top sheets either because we have our own separate blankets!

    Jessie
    www.mixandchic.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for thoughts on my post! M.