The Power of Paint - Kitchen Before & Afters

I have often said that paint can fix a world of interior design mistakes.  You can use it to highlight really great architectural features; or in the case of my kitchen, you can hide a whole lot of ugliness.  

For those who have not had the pleasure.  Here is a Before of my kitchen . . .


And now for the After . . . 
And again. Before.

And After.  It doesn't look like the same kitchen (at least it doesn't to me).
 The color is Ben Moore Grant Beige; and honestly, I think it changes with the light of every hour in the day.  It is looking very warm and green in this shot, but at certain times, it feels grey.  
 In addition to the kitchen, we painted my breakfast room the same color.  You can see how different the color looks in there.  
 Here's another Before picture taken from the same direction.  The dark chocolate color in this before image is called Seal Skin by Martin Senour; and truly, I loved it.  I can't say the same for the maple cabinetry.  Just was not my taste.  

Now, before you start commenting on how you can't believe I painted maple cabinetry, they were not solid.  Instead they were a thin veneer that was just begging to be painted!!!  

The kitchen is in the center of my home, so I have no windows in the space.  This made the chocolate color feel even darker.  I think the lighter color really helped to make the space feel larger and more airy. 
 In addition to the walls and cabinetry, I also painted all the trim the same color.  This is a great trick to make a room feel larger and more cohesive.  When a room has a lot going on (i.e., cabinetry, door casings, windows, etc.) it can feel very chopped up.  By painting it all the same color, it becomes cleaner and larger. 
 I still have a few extra things to do in the space, but I wanted to show you the progress.  I plan to include some simple sheer linen cafe curtains on the bay windows, just to soften the look (it is very private in the back, so I'm going with a sheer fabric) hang some new artwork (maybe those sea fans I found), and some lighting over my island.  I will share all those ideas with you in a later post (would love your thoughts).
 But for now, I am loving the change.  
 Oh, one last thing.  I changed the hardware on all the cabinets.  What I love about these pulls is the size.  I really think the larger hardware feels more current.  These are 7" pulls.  I put my hand on them to give you an idea of the actual size.

In this picture you can really see how the pulls stand out in the space.  

Overall, I am thrilled with the result.
The power of paint never ceases to amaze me.  Even in my own kitchen.  
Happy Monday.  M.


 

39 comments:

  1. Fantastic transformation. I LOVE the after!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does make a huge difference! Your kitchen is beautiful and inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It truly does look like a completely different space! A beautiful kitchen that would be a pleasure to spend time in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice, Mandi! Paint can transform a space. Love your countertops too. It looks very up to date. Luckily you had great lines on your cabinetry. Painting them was a smart thing to do. I love bigger pulls on cabinets too. They're fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post frustrates me because I want to paint over our maple cabs but my husband trumped that idea. He can't see painting over new maple cabinets.
    That kitchen is dreamy! I love the paint color.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you painted those cabinets - you were ready for the change and made it yours. I also love that you painted all of the trim the same color. I'm thinking of repainting our entire downstairs and would probably paint the trim as well. And the larger hardware is awesome and gives it that heftier feel while still looking pretty. Enjoy the new look!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, what a huge difference! I love how your cabinets look and the contrast they have with the Seal Skin color. Terrific job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're so right- the power of paint is amazing! Your home is beautiful! I love the change you made to the cabinets! And the larger pulls do make a grander statement. I love the change! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love best kitchen accessories.namebrandfaucets provide you best kitchen products.
    Kitchen Fixtures

    ReplyDelete
  10. You will never hear me whining about painting over kitchen cabinets. What an amazing transformation. The color is great too. Good work, Lady!
    Camille

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks fabulous. What a transformation. Paint can be an amazing tool!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely love it ! It looks very clean, modern and up to date - makes the room look larger and, as you said, more cohesive. Are you happy you painted the cabinets and walls the same color - I would like to try that in my kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks great. I am loving those large pulls.....

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's BEAUTIFUL! (I came over from Sherry's blog.) I'm about to embark on a kitchen update; Emily Clark did a mood board for me, and I can't wait to get started. I'm not painting my cabs (they're white), but I'm painting my island. Yea for pretty kitchens!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous transformation. Visiting from Design Indulgence.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the new color of your kitchen cabinets. I have the same maple kitchen cabinets as yours and I wanted to have them painted forever. But my husband thought it looks great the way it is. You did a great job selecting the color. Do you painted them yourself or did you hire help?

    Jessie
    www.mixandchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great transformation! So cohesive and calm feeling. I'm sure you are really enjoying your "new" space!

    We live here in Bham, too, and have lovely maple cabinetry. It truly is beautiful...if maple is your "thing." After 13 years, though, we are both ready for a change. I was considering "Grant Beige," especially after reading awhile back that is one of the "go-to" colors Tracery has used that would add enough gray to be current, but enough tan to relate to everything else going on elsewhere in our home. It would work perfectly with our backsplash and counters, which we still like. I was so glad to read you used this color. Now I can see what a significant change it has made in your kitchen. Tackling the job is the only thing holding me back now! Thank you for the inspiration! Cheryl/Bham

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the wall and trim the same color. Looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well done! That's amazing! I especially love those cabinet pulls. Gorgeous! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, Mandi, it looks fabulous!! I would be thrilled as well . . . what a transformation. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  21. At first I thought they were the same green as I have on my cupboards until you told us the name of the color. They look so much better!! Great choices on your part, what a fun transformation,
    Kathysue

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh. My. God. This is an incredible transformation! I can't believe what a difference a different color made! It is just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love it- great job! Sherry sent me over so I am signing up as your newest follower. Wonderful job! WONDERFUL! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  24. yeah! what a great change. wonderful color choice. I know you are so happy...donna

    ReplyDelete
  25. Mandi- What a beautiful transformation!

    You have GREAT taste in artwork, too. Those paintings are the "windows" in your kitchen!

    Loretta

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great job! Painting our oak cabinets is going to be my spring project! You've inspired me to do other than white! Coming to you from Sherry's blog...so glad I did!
    Joanne @ Homestyling101

    ReplyDelete
  27. love what you did ... the paint is so fresh and clean feeling! Found you from Sherry's blog ... nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I great job...and I have the same hardware in Venetian bronze. Love your style. I M nother visitor from Sherry's blog.
    Best...Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  29. Gorgeous transformation!! I love that you chose a color that is slightly unexpected. It looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  30. So gorgeous! The cabinets came out amazing, looks like a custom kitchen.

    XO
    Kristy
    www.idesignlove.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Just found your blog and love it! Your kitchen looks amazing! You are right, paint makes a big difference!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow...what a gorgeous transformation. This certainly proves what a difference a coat of paint can make. Happily following your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Came over from Design Indulgence....love the color you chose and the hardware is killer!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love the difference paint can make! I just had someone out to my home today to give me a quote on painting our bathroom cabinets. Love your blog and am a new gfc follower. Would love for you to come follow me back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow....I kept flipping back and forth between the before and after sure that you changed something else other than just the paint. It's amazing! I MUST paint my cabinets and was told by a wonderful friend with a great eye to paint the walls the same color as the cabinets. I have done nearly everything else in my house, it really is time. Did you paint it all yourself or did you hire it out or send the door fronts out to be sprayed?

    ReplyDelete
  36. p.s. My son's room is grant beige - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  37. WOW! I just came over from Sherry Hart -- what an unbelievable kitchen. I love it. Wish I could convince my husband that painting the cabinets is not a federal crime. :) So glad I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  38. awesome! It's true haven't seen you put much painting up here in a while, but really sweet!
    painters edmonton

    painting contractor edmonton

    ReplyDelete
  39. It helps that you had a very dramatic kitchen to start. I don't see the ugliness that you spoke of in your original kitchen, especially considering the high end appliances and abundant counter/cabinet space you have.

    That is one dramatic kitchen. Too bad you don't have a window in there. That is my number one requirement for a kitchen since, as you said, it's our gathering place. I need natural light.

    I am sure you will enjoy it for many years to come.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for thoughts on my post! M.